FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dear Diary: Random Thoughts & Observations From Three Weeks of Flying Around America
Old Jan 23, 2007, 7:42 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
January 15, 2007
Alaska Seattle – San Francisco 7:45am – 10:05am 737-700 Seat 6C
American San Francisco – St. Louis 12:30pm – 6:30pm 757-200 Seat 22F
American Connection St. Louis – Jacksonville 7:45pm – 10:50pm ERJ-140 Seat 1A

When I showed up at 6:45am, Alaska’s entire check-in counter appeared to be under siege. From the First Class/MVP counters to the E-Ticket kiosks, the lines were long. The sea of humanity was so large that even the kiosks looked to have a ten-minute wait. With no baggage to check, I did a quick U-turn and headed down a level where the parking garage walkway meets the main terminal. There I was greeted by a bank of five empty kiosks just waiting for me to check in. Seconds later I was on my way through security and on to D-4, with an intermediate stop at the closest Starbucks kiosk.

I love Starbucks’ regular everyday coffees, especially the rich earthy ones like Sumatran or Verona. I do however wish that in airports at least Starbucks would provide a separate line for those of us who just want a simple cup of coffee to go. It’s frustrating to have to stand in line behind four or five people ordering time consuming foo-foo lattes and such when all you want is a simple cup of coffee or a sandwich to go. This is especially true when time’s a wasting and you’ve got a plane to catch. Now before any of you fancy coffee drinkers get yer knickers in a knot, understand I have no problem with those who like their pricey foo-foo lattes. I just think that in airports, where time is often more of a consideration than in a mall, it’d be nice to have a separate line for expedited purchases.

Alaska’s 7:45am San Francisco departure was operated with a 737-700. I normally like an exit row and, as an MVP Gold, I can request one at time of booking. However, Alaska’s 737-700s have an exit row configuration that offers no extra legroom except to the window seat but the under seat storage for that seat is two rows ahead which makes retrieval of seat-side carry-ons awkward. So, when the schedule shows a 73G, I always request 6C, a bulkhead seat offering excellent legroom and a chance to observe what’s being served in First Class.

While those of us in Economy were treated to the usual selection of hot and cold breakfast beverages served with a small package of cookies, First Class passengers received a small fruit plate served with what looked to be a slice of banana bread. I remember being served eggs, potatoes and link sausage on this route back in the seventies. And that was in Economy.

I wish I’d chosen a window seat because it was an absolutely gorgeous day in the Bay Area. Our route of flight took us out over the Pacific shortly after passing Bodega Bay. From there we stayed a mile or two off shore, flying past the Golden Gate Bridge and downtown San Francisco before making a big U-turn over Palo Alto and landing to the north. Since this flight was continuing on to Puerto Vallarta, we parked at the International Terminal’s A Concourse. I’d been looking forward to a visit to Alaska’s refurbished SFO Boardroom but instead settled for Northwest’s nicely refurbished WorldClub.

I think Northwest’s new WorldClubs, as seen at MSP, DTW, MEM and now SFO are amongst the most attractive clubs I have ever been in. This includes overseas First Class lounges. The new look is at once spacious and inviting with polished stone floors and walls accented by dark wood, large potted plants, subdued yet complimentary artwork and large picture windows overlooking the tarmac. At the far end of the lounge was an open bar featuring a nice variety of mid-shelf spirits as well as Miller and Heineken beers. An Espresso/Latte/Cappuccino machine was also available with plenty of cookies, pretzels and biscotti nearby. A fridge in the bar area was stocked with yogurt and juices while cheese, fruit and Danishes were also available at appropriate hours. A side room housed a business center that offered about a dozen workstations along with a fax machine and a copier. Free wi-fi was also available. Domestic US airline lounges just don’t come any finer than this! I grabbed a coffee and a couple of biscotti, then took a seat by one of the big picture windows and spent the next hour enjoying the free wi-fi.

The flight to St. Louis was completely packed. In fact it was oversold. I tried to switch to an exit row seat and the agent guffawed. Never a good sign… Can guffaw be used as a verb? Never mind. Had I hustled over to Terminal 3 in time to be amongst the first to volunteer, I would have been the lucky recipient of denied boarding compensation. Six or seven people were selected.

I fly American fifty or sixty times a year and I’ve been very fortunate to get exit row or bulkhead seating most of the time. Sitting now in seat 22F, I was dismayed at how tight the seating was and soon found myself pining for the good old days of MRTC seating. Oh well. Flight time was only three and a half hours and the laptop powerport under my seat meant I’d be able to spend much of that time enjoying the unique distractions that only a laptop computer can provide. Unfortunately, the exceptionally tight quarters meant that I wouldn’t be able to completely open and display my 15” screen.

A United 757 was lined up for take-off ahead of us. It bore United’s handsome new livery and I remember thinking what an attractive color scheme United’s finally come up with. It reflects the bright promise that hopefully will be realized by United in years to come. Now if only United could afford to get its fleet repainted a bit faster. That horrible gray livery looks about as appealing as a bankruptcy proceeding.

Kudos also go out to US Airways for its attractive new livery. One of its A320s was parked at Terminal 2 looking very classy in its new red, white and blue colors. As I was admiring these colorful new additions to American skies, it occurred to me that American Airlines has had the same livery since the late 1960s, almost forty years. During that same time period, United’s jets have worn at least five different liveries. Northwest has employed four different looks while Delta has gone through three. Still, American’s simple livery works well and given the costs of changes to brand identity, much less repainting the entire fleet, I can’t imagine we’ll be seeing any changes to American’s colors in the immediate future.

The highlight for this flight was trying out my new DC/AC power inverter. My old Targus model, which I bought new for $90.00 six years ago, has finally worn out. Targus now makes a new, bulkier model that’ll provide enough wattage to power 15” laptops and larger. I’ve seen it sold at the big office supply chains for about $55.00. I was ready to buy it, too, until I stumbled across the Power-Line Mobile AC Outlet during a search on the Internet. It’s about the size of a handheld PA mike and plugs into any cigarette lighter. It delivers 140 watts of continuous power, costs only $34.00 and claims to deliver more than enough wattage to power big 15” laptops such as mine. I called the local Wal-Mart to ask about it. What if it doesn’t work for me, I asked. No problem! Just bring it back in its original packaging within 30 days to any Wal-Mart store and you’ll get a full refund. Fair enough, said I and purchased it later that afternoon.

I’m pleased to report that it works magnificently. Just plug it in, then plug your normal computer plug into it and away you go – constant power throughout the flight. Or in your car. Keep in mind however that this unit is adapted to cigarette lighter type powerports only. It doesn’t include an adapter for powerports such as you’d find on United Airlines or British Airways.

We touched down smoothly on an exceptionally frosty evening in St. Louis. The temperature was listed at 16°F. Many passengers were shivering and complaining as they exited the aircraft into the unheated jetway. Not me, however. I thought it felt great! 16° would be a warm spell in Alaska this time of year, and I actually found the cold fresh air quite invigorating.

Trans States Airlines d.b.a. American Connection operated tonight’s flight down to Jacksonville. I was looking at 750 miles and an hour and forty minutes in Embraer’s little jungle jet. While I’d prefer an MD-80, tonight’s flight was only half full and the flight attendant was friendly, efficient and easy on the eyes. Time passed quickly and we landed on a clear 50° evening in Jacksonville.

As much as I’d like to stay in a hotel overnight, it seems kind of pointless when I’ve got a 6:55am flight out of here tomorrow. It was now 11:15pm and when you factor in time getting to and from the hotel, I wouldn’t have time to get enough sleep to justify the overall expense. Thankfully, I’m better prepared than most for these scenarios, travelling with an inflatable Thermarest insulated sleeping pad, a warm blanket, a small pillow, a sleeping mask, an alarm clock, a headlamp and earplugs. All of that fits nicely into a small carry-on bag with enough room left over for a change of clothing and a good book. I set up camp in a quiet, dimly lit corner down in a section of baggage claim that was done for the night. I then slept undisturbed until 5:45am.

January 16, 2007
American Eagle Jacksonville – Miami 8:45am – 10:30am ATR-72 Seat 1D
American Miami – Chicago 11:40am – 1:55pm 757-200 Seat 18D
American Chicago – Los Angeles 3:10pm – 5:30pm 767-300 Seat 17B
Alaska Los Angeles – Seattle 7:00pm – 9:48pm 737-900 Seat 16F

People often ask how do I keep clean while sleeping in airports? Simple. The downstairs restrooms in the baggage claim areas are usually deserted in the early morning hours. After all, in most airports there aren’t many flights arriving before 7:00am, so I’m able to wash my hair, sponge bath and change clothes without being disturbed or disturbing anyone else. Some of the larger handicapped stalls actually include a sink, so I can have complete privacy.

“Oh, but you’re using a handicapped stall! Shame on you!”

It’s 6:00am and with no flights arriving until later in the morning, no one, handicapped or otherwise generally ever uses those restrooms so early. Occasionally an airport employee such as a janitor or baggage handler might show up, but I’ve yet to see any wheelchair bound people in those positions.

I also recognize some people are a bit squeamish about sleeping in airports, much less washing up in them. After all, appearances must be maintained, you know. What would people say if they saw…? Oh, the horrors… Be it rooted in pride and ego or insecurity, those people will probably never sleep in airports unless circumstances conspire to give them no other alternative. Good for them! The less competition, the better! Me – I could care less what anybody thinks if they see me sleeping in an airport. Lots of people do, anyway. If someone thinks I'm a bum because I’m sleeping in an airport, well, by my reckoning their value system is so out of whack that it’s not even relevant. In the bigger picture, I’d rate excessive pride and vanity as the greater transgression. So let them think whatever they like. People who know me know better.

Of course, the reality here is I’ve never had a lot of money, and what I do have I’ve got to make last. Believe me, there are nights I’d love to have stayed in a hotel, but given my fiscal realities, the prudent choice is to stay in the airport.

“What about the airport police? Do they ever bother you?”

No. It’s been my experience at least that so long as you’re a bonafide traveler, the authorities have no problem with you overnighting in the airport. A lot of it is really just common sense. I pick a spot that’s quiet and out of the way, and I have documentation ready to show the police that I’ve either just arrived late at night or I’m heading out early the next morning. Also, it helps to be polite and forthcoming to the police. They’re just doing their jobs. Even though they may have just woken me up in the middle of the night to make sure I have a valid reason for being in the airport, I always thank them for checking. One night in Chicago I had my wallet cut right out of my back pocket with a razor blade while I was sleeping. I never felt a thing! The police keep the airport that much safer for those of us that do have to overnight there. Also, it doesn’t hurt to check with them and let them know I’ll be looking to stay in the airport. Doing so often spares me that wake-up call in the middle of the night.

So, here it is 6:10am in Jacksonville and I’ve got 4,220 miles of flying ahead of me today. That’s about the same as a nonstop flight between Los Angeles and Tahiti. I’ve just stepped off the escalator from downstairs and – Oh my God! It’s the security line from Hell! I don’t know how many of you are familiar with the layout of the Jacksonville terminal building, but suffice to say that the line was over one hundred yards long before it reached the normal security checkpoint entrance where the zig-zag lanes begin.

Seasoned Jacksonville business travelers in line around me were all commenting that here it is Tuesday morning – what the heck is going on? Maybe it’s a convention or a cruise ship arrival. Maybe one or two of the machines broke down… As it turned out, it was the day after the Martin Luther King holiday, so a lot of people were either returning from their long weekend or business travelers were just starting their week. To the TSA’s credit, it took only 40 minutes to get through this line. Unfortunately, I heard my name being paged for last call while I was still in line and ended up missing my flight by five minutes.

Thankfully, the next flight down to Miami had plenty of seats on it and still arrived at MIA with plenty of time for me to make my connection up to Chicago. Since it didn’t leave for another hour and forty minutes, I wandered over to Delta’s Crown Room for coffee and biscotti. Delta’s Jacksonville club is not all that large, but it’s comfortably furnished, includes a few workstations, and has a good supply of fresh hot coffee.

American Eagle’s ATR-72 covered the 334 miles between Jacksonville and Miami in just one hour and nineteen minutes. In fact, the JAX-MIA route is the longest flown by an ATR in the U.S. Out of San Juan, Puerto Rico however, American Eagle ATRs fly substantially farther, such as the 569 mile route from San Juan to Barbados.

Having eaten only a couple of mini-biscotti with my coffee, I arrived in Miami with a powerful yen for breakfast. Or lunch. Dinner, even. I just wanted food! Unfortunately, on the concourses at least, most MIA concessionaires offer little more than pizza, pre-made sandwiches and salads. One exception is down on the new part of the D Concourse where a food court has a Manchu Wok restaurant. For about $7.00, you can get a big plate of rice with two different toppings. Vegetarians will appreciate all the vegetables and tofu, while carnivores have a nice selection of beef and chicken dishes to choose from. I like the vegi-tofu mix with a meat dish and today ordered it with the chicken and mushrooms. Ahh… much better.

We had a full flight up to the Windy City this afternoon. As usual in Miami, the gate lounge was bedlam, what with the wide mix of languages and cultures. I chatted for a bit with a young guy from Colombia who was returning to the US with his mother after a month in Colombia. He was dressed for an afternoon at the mall whereas his elderly mom looked quite nice in a plaid suit. Such is the difference in generations and how we view travel these days. For most of us now, getting on an airplane is no more special than going to the mall. More than a few people dress accordingly. Most people older than 60 however have experienced airplane travel when it was still looked at as a special event for which you dressed up. Many older folks still do. Mind you, I’m not one who advocates traveling in a suit. Certainly it makes sense to dress for comfort, especially on a long flight. But it is interesting to note the differences and how the older generation still clings to the old ways. It’s also interesting to note that more than a few behavioral studies have shown that people who are dressed nicely are often treated more nicely than their more casually attired brethren. I wonder if the current state of First Class service aboard American carriers would be any better if more people presented themselves in public like they did years ago? These days, in America at least, I doubt anyone really cares. The main thing is getting there safely, at a reasonable cost, and hopefully on time. In that regard, the U.S. carriers do a pretty good job.

Miami’s a great airport for plane spotting. It always has been what with the wide variety of colorful airliners from the Caribbean, Central and South America. Back in the 1970s, you could still find cargo operators flying DC-6s and even the odd Constellation or C-46 into MIA. Of course, 707s, DC-8s and even the odd Convair 880 were commonly seen as well. These days, the vintage airliners include 727s, DC-10s and DC-8-71s, almost all of which are flying freight these days. On the way out to the runway, I spotted:

AeroSur 757-200
Aerolineas Argentinas 747-200 classic
Avianca 757-200 new colors
Arrow DC-10-30
Arrow DC-8-62
Amerijet 727-200s

Perhaps the most shocking was the Aerolineas Argentinas 747-200 being operated in a passenger configuration. Most all of the so called “747 Classics” have long since been relegated to freight duty.

I’m pleased to report that American now offers proper food for sale in its Economy cabin. At least on some flights. In the not so distant past, all you could get were “Snack Boxes” filled with a variety of packaged snacks but devoid of any real food. Today we were offered a good looking Asian Chicken Salad for just $5.00. Also available on select flights is a turkey and cheese sandwich. Having just eaten a big plate of Chinese food, I wasn’t hungry but I was glad to see the improved fare and looked forward to sampling some of it on one of my future flights. I’ve got twenty-four more flights on American coming up between now and February 7th.

Three hours later we touched down at O’Hare on a sunny but cold afternoon. The captain announced the temperature as 23°. The Floridians gasped while returning Chicagoans muttered unhappily amongst themselves. I was tempted to let out a whoop of joy just to add balance to it all but held my tongue.

A 767-300 was scheduled to operate the 3:10pm departure from Chicago to Los Angeles. That’s why I’m on this flight. I like a larger airplane. Nowadays, American and United’s 763s represent the largest aircraft flying this route. Your basic everyday single aisle jets such as A320s and MD-80s operate most of the other flights. Twenty years ago, you’d never see an aircraft that small on the Chicago – LA run. 747s, DC-10s and L-1011s ruled the route.

If you must fly Coach, the 767 is a good plane to fly upon. Its 2-3-2 main cabin configuration delivers slightly wider seats, none of which are more than one seat away from the aisle. For sustenance on this three hour and forty-seven minute flight, I purchased a spicy chicken burrito from the Baja Burrito concession in the food court between Concourses H & K.

In the seatback pocket in front of me was a copy of CL, American’s Luxury Living magazine. It must have migrated back from the First Class cabin. It’s an impressive magazine, filled with stories about and advertisements for just about anything having to do with The Good Life. As I’m perusing it however, I’m thinking how about a magazine for those of us closer to the opposite end of the spectrum? Instead of ads touting diamond encrusted watches or luxury 1 and 2 bedroom resort properties with prices starting at just $700,000, how about a magazine with articles about log cabin living in -50°, or the best places to hitchhike along US 101. The ads could be for cabin kits, used trucks, and varmint guns to rid yourself of red squirrels that chew up wiring and steal insulation from cabins.

We landed in LA on a beautiful evening, just as the sun was setting. Ah… California… Still, today I’ve gone from 75° in Miami to 23° in Chicago to 62° in LA to presumably a damp 40° something in Seattle. I’m probably going to catch a cold trying to deal with all these different climates. That is, if I don’t pick one up amongst all the coughing and wheezing passengers I’ve been traveling with. One thing I don’t need in the middle of a Mileage Run is to get sick. I’ve got some Echinacea and Vitamin C with me for everyday use, along with some Zycam Zinc Lozenges for colds and Oscillococcinum for quick relief of flu symptoms. Other than that, all I can do is try to avoid the coughers and sneezers and wash my hands as often as reasonably possible.

At LAX American offers very convenient bus connections between its American Eagle Commuter Terminal and the terminals serving AA, AS, CO, DL and NW. Since the hub of the bus operation is the American Eagle Commuter Terminal, then no matter what your starting point is, you must first go to the A.E.C.T. and then connect to another bus to your desired terminal. The service is free and saves a lot of time since you don’t have to exit one terminal and re-enter another with all the attendant joys of another trip through the security checkpoints.

The convenience of the American Eagle Connection is all well and good, but my favorite part of the trip is driving out on the tarmac amongst all those huge jetliners. I mean, it’s one thing to see a brand new EVA 777-300ER from an airport lounge or out the window of your airplane, but it’s quite another when you watch it taxi by just ninety feet away. Sound also plays a role in the experience. The busses are not well insulated so you can really hear the whine of those high bypass turbofans that power all the big jets these days.

Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough time to pay a visit to Alaska’s Boardroom, not if I was also going to stop by Jody Moroni’s for a Chicken Andouille Sausage. I’ve never seen a Jody Moroni’s Sausage place outside of an airport, but I do think they make an excellent sausage at a very reasonable price. If you should ever find yourself flying on Alaska out of LA, consider a visit to Jody Moroni’s. It’s got an attached sports bar with five or six televisions, so there’s always something on, even if it’s only soccer.

Following an unremarkable flight up to Seattle, I stopped by Alaska’s Baggage Service, picked up my backpack and headed off to my secret spot for a good night’s sleep.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 21, 2008 at 6:57 pm