FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:07 am
westtexas

Location: Midland, by way of Odessa, by way of El Paso, by way of Abuja, by way of Mexico City, by way of...
Programs: Aadvantage Exec Plat, AmEx Platinum, Hilton Diamond, United Club, Admiral's Club
Originally Posted by nbevan
According to Sky News

So presumably no strike announcement while talks continue?
I do not have any particular information, and what follows is just my trying to divine meaning from the press release.

That said, I think the fact that the talks are still going on has to be a good sign that they are working to some sort of a conclusion. If I was a union leader with a 96% vote in favor of industrial action, I would think that the only thing which would keep me talking is the promise of some sort of meaningful concession. Similarly, if I were a CEO who had been told by my financial backers to break the union (and had a reputation, just or not, for imposing my will), then I would be inclined to present my demands and walk away unless something positive were happening.

It is maddening to try to make travel plans when you don't know whether the airline will fly, and perhaps I am looking at this optimistically because it suits my purposes. That said, leaders on both sides of the table would appear to have ample support to walk away and "send a message" or some such. To me, the fact they are still talking seems like progress.

28 more days and a wake up before I leave Nigeria never to return...