FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old Jan 9, 2007, 1:12 pm
sbtinme

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by 2cents
I just had an incident at this hotel also. I'm not going to go into details, but I agree with the assessment that there is a severe customer service issue at the hotel. I also agree that your physical appearance may have something to do with your level of treatment. It is also what happened to me and I observed other such interactions while I was there. Very sad, but very true. On top of that, the manager actually called me a liar when I said I was a platinum guest - have been for 6 years.
I don't think anyone has yet stated that this hotel is a shining example of a pristine Starwood Hotel high on the hill. To the contrary, this is a middle-of-the-road hotel that is aged at this point and does tremendous group travel business (think bus tours from Akron, Ohio).

That said, if there are legitimate customer service shortfalls, all of us would encourage those issues to be brought to management's attention and followed up on.

In my many years as a Platinum member, I've had numerous opportunities to discuss "issues" with hotel management and on virtually every occasion, I've felt very listened to and many times I've received follow up communication when I returned home. You state that you were called a "liar" by the manager of the Princess Kaiulani -- do you really mean that? Did he look you in the eye and say, "You are a liar!" If so, that's amazing. Or, did he disagree with your version of an incident? I'm not trying to get anyone upset here, but I've been around long enough to know that certain folks can get exceedingly upset and when issues aren't addressed just precisely the way that they want them to, they walk away from the experience infuriated and imbittered.

The OP tells us he was upset because -

- housekeeping walked into his unlocked, unsigned room. Agreeably, they shouldn't have done so, but that's also what room locks are for. 90% or more of us use them. They come in handy.

- Hotel operator didn't have access to long distance information. I find that completely reasonable.

- wasn't aware that booking into an award category gets one a ROH room that may or may not be smoking. Hotel will attempt to get desired room for guest, but there is explicitly no guarantee here.

From where I'm sitting, an offer of 2,500 is more than adequate since these issues amount to a small pile of small issues.