Old Jan 3, 07, 11:42 pm
jcherney
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Just got back last nite from 9 days at the Westin Aruba. I'm not a happy camper. There is no way that place should have a Westin name on it.

The place is drastically understaffed. There was almost no service on the beach as might be expected. The rooms have great heavenly beds but the sheets were so rough that the joke was that this was the in-room exfoliating spa treatment! The furniture is old Wyndham stuff except for the new TV. They put up pictures on the 4th or 5th day of our stay. Spoke to many people that had construction on their floors daily. I was lucky that we didn't hear that. The bathrooms have little counter space for toiletries.

The food was aweful . So bad that we walked down to the Dunkin Donuts for coffee every morning and to the Hyatt for breakfast and lunch the last half of the vacation. The "Westin" needs to drastically improve food quality and offerings. A coffee shop that offers eggs and toast past 11 am for those that partied too late would be very well received.

Wireless was good but expensive ($12.00/day).

I had a few conversations with locals and the consensus was that there isn't enough popluation on the island to staff these large resorts. And foreign workers are only allowed to stay 2 years, so that kills consistency.

Would I stay there again someday? Probably not, considering the quality of other offerings at the same price nearby. Hyatt, Radisson, Marriott were standouts. If the weather and beach hadn't been so nice, I'd be even more frustrated than I am right now.

Lots of money paid for few services.