FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [GONE: left 29Feb16] Hotel Kamp Helsinki, Finland, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]
Old Dec 26, 2006, 5:46 pm
skye1

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Just stayed there in December.
I don't know Helsinki that well, but this location right on the "Esplanade" and within easy walking distance of a lot of the city center seemed perfect. It was a short walk to the railway station for catching the airport buses. It was easily within walking distance of most of the city center stuff I had been advised to see. In December, it was great for just walking out the door and rambling the Christmas markets. When I come to Helsinki again, I would definitely consider its hotel for its location. Booking at the last minute as I did, and getting a rate for around 149 EUR for a luxury collection hotel, & getting a suite, it's hard to complain. A couple of Finnish locals I met at a local tavern nearby were absolutely stunned I got such a great deal for such a great room at "THAT" hotel, and gave me quite an interesting history of the hotel and its heritage. It apparently does have quite a history, and quite an impressive guest list of Finnish & European celebrities & dignitaries. While clearly rennovated, it looks like they really tried to keep its historic charm in the rennovations.

The hotel was fully booked, and I had plans to stay elsewhere. But, while on a layover in the UK, decided just for the heck of it to see if anything opened up last minute. Got a decent rate on a king room & nailed it & easily cancelled a room elsewhere. (literally just before getting on my onward flight to HEL). Upon arrival & check in at the front desk (around 4pm), I inquired of any cancellations, and after looking into it, they found a two-room "suite" that had opened up. They would not have done that extra checking had I not asked...as up to that point, they just said they were fully booked & there was nothing else. I wasn't going to push it, having booked at last minute, but figured no harm in asking about cancellations. I sort of think that checking for any cancellations would be something that they would just do anyways, esp. considering the many reviews about how attentive the service is there...but, it was clear I would have had 'just' a room had I not asked.

Speaking of staff, they constantly refer to the concierge. I had a few ideas on where to go eat (thank you, FT) but wanted to hear their recco's as well. Yet, when I called, the person answering the phone didn't speak English at all, & had me wait on hold for a few minutes while he tracked down a colleague who spoke English. That colleague said he did not know Helsinki at all, but would locate a co-worker who did (was inquiring of dining recco's). I went on to unpack & settle in, & no phone call. Went down to the lobby to ask...but a long line at the desk...so, I just ventured across the street to the markets & did just fine. The esplanade was a treat, lined with all its Christmas markets, and all the windows in all the buildings along it decked with those "candle" lights. Very cool. The hotel was also close to the "waterfront" & ferry terminals, which would prove nice in warmer weather for island ventures. It was wild that, in mid-December, Helsinki was warmer than here in the midwestern US.

Back at the hotel, time to check out the spa upstairs. The different types of steam-rooms & suanas at the spa were perfect for relaxing after a long flight from the US. There's a common area in the middle of them all, with big stone lounge chairs for just relaxing in between trying out the various steams/suanas. There's also shower stalls with several settings w/ icons/pictures not words for what they are...Warning: the SPLASH one would get anyone's heart into warp drive, an arctic-cold, powerful blast from several surrounding jets (engines!) all at once, clearly meant to simulate the outdoor "take a suana then get thrown in the ice hole" effect. The rainhead, the side sprays, the foot spray, and the basic "shower" were a little less shocking. The one "workout towel" (rag-size) and one shower towel that you're given won't be enough, so----you can either be charged there for additional towels @ 4 eur. each, & water bottles also @ 4 eur. each,---or you're welcome to bring a few extras from your room. The gym was a lot like a Westin Reebok, except that the locker rooms were better: they had plenty of space, plenty of wooden lockers, and all the toiletries one would need & not just extra mini-bottles of soap/shampoo, and also that the showers aren't basic gym showers, but have the multi-setting (waterfall, massage, spray, etc.) heads & "side" jets. An "island" in the middle has mirrors, sinks, stools, etc.

The suite was really nice, brimming with historic character, and with a living room, bedroom, huge bathroom, & sort-of-separate reading area/sitting area. Intensely plush furnsishings & decor. Beautiful artwork on every area of every wall. Tons of curtains everywhere, even where there wasn't a window...just for a "tapestry" effect I guess, and a canopy effect over/around the bed area. Very spacious exec. desk w/ its own fax/printer. & plenty of space to work. Lots of office supply cups & cubbies around as well. Large glass doors opened onto a "private patio" onto one of the rooftops, with plenty of flower pots & landscape things to minimize the roof look. Plenty of space for entertaining a small army of guests. Looked like the roof was divided into 3 or 4 other similar patio areas for 3 or 4 other rooms. It's the roof that's over part of the lobby, near the dome. The red rubber duck was cool. Turn down service w/ chocolates & sparkling water. I think if I was a female I would have also gotten a rose. The bathroom had separate "rooms" each for a toilet, shower, sink area, & bath--each with "etched" glass doors instead of "solid" ones. The rubber duck was cool, on a toiletries & book-holding tray across the tub. PLENTY of and a variety of Molton Brown products (at least 6 kinds of body-wash). With the well equipped showers & supplies at the spa, I never needed them in the room & were glad they came in the euro-tsa-friendly 50ml size for taking home.

Never had to mess with the internet fees...the night attendant was VERY helpful and showeed me to an office room (clearly not an employee one, but one for guests) with all the free hi-speed access I'd need, & he offered to help print boarding passes, etc.

Didn't bother with breakfast at the hotel cafe, having read of the expense paid for little food in many other posts. Enjoyed the spread at the F Finnair Lounge at the aiport the day I checked out. I didn't bother with the hotel bar, as I found plenty of great ones in the area that kept my attention. Stopped thru both 'tho, and the atmosphere in each looked quite elegant.

If I could snag a rate like that and an upgrade like that, I'd stay there again. I don't stay at luxury collection hotels that often, and have read varying reviews on how this one compares to others. I'd give it serious thought for its location, especially if one wanted to be near the esplenade and the waterfront.