FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MFU Segments
Thread: MFU Segments
View Single Post
Old Dec 17, 2006, 2:10 pm
frankvb

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PD
"If I have a return ticket, can I choose to use Miles for Upgrade on a one-way basis only?
No, your whole itinerary must be upgraded.
The only exception to this would be, if you wanted to upgrade the entire journey but the higher class of travel was only available on one sector.
In this instance you would be allowed to upgrade on the one sector available and would be charged half of the BA Miles required for a return journey."

So, yes, it can be done; just be persistent.
I think the wording is poor in the sense that it refers to "one sector" as being "one way of a return ticket". In particular considering the last sentence, which refers to "one sector" and "half of the BA miles required for a return journey".

And the reply is in the context of the question about the possibility of one-way upgrades, the question doesn't even refer to single sector upgrades. That makes me believe that whoever wrote up this answer (incorrectly) assumed that "one sector" is the same as "one way of the return journey". Somehow it seems they haven't considered the possibility of a journey with a connection, making the one way multi-sector.

So I'd suggest that it is not possible to only upgrade a single sector - you'll need to upgrade the entire return trip, and the only exception if this isn't possible is to upgrade just one way of the return trip.