FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I Can't Believe It -- U.S. Government Misspells My Last Name On My New Passport
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:38 am
nd_eric_77

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Had he known in advance that his name was going to be missepelled he could have booked a ticket wthi is misspelled name, which BTW would not be looked at so kindly by DHS. Travelling under an assumed name, with a passport and a vis to match the asSumed name!. Secondly, get real. This is FT. The misspelled name wouldn't match the name on the FFP and he wouldn't get any miles.
OK, so here is one possible idea... since you will be travelling in paid C/J, it might work. IF come Saturday morning, your passport / visa still have the wrong name, purchase a new C/J ticket using the misspelled name. As mentioned previously, the FF miles should still be able to work out - albeit possibly with manual intervention. AFTER purchasing the ticket with the misspelled name, refund the old ticket. This, of course assumes that your original C/J ticket was refundable - which most are.

BTW, that is a complete cluster-f*ck that the DHS misspelled your name; what appalling incompetence!!! The worst case scenario would be if the passport has a different spelling in the computer - which might cause all sorts of confusion upon return to the US. I think the above solution should not result in such a bad outcome, and then you would have time to resolve the issue upon return to the US. And yes, purchasing a full-fare C/J ticket for TPAC travel the day before departure will probably get you the SSSS treatment .

GOOD LUCK!!!