FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OT _ Gatwick MacDonalds - Warn Your Chauffeurs and Meeters and Greeters!
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:40 am
bealine

http://icsurreyonline.icnetwork.co.u...name_page.html

(Article copied in case icsurreyonline remove it later)

icSurreyOnline logo

Crawley

Mum fined £125 for taking too long to finish McDonald's

Dec 6 2006

FAST food could now be taken literally after a Crawley mum was fined £125 by a McDonald's restaurant because her family took too long finishing their meal.

Mum-of-two Maria Peters, 30, from Felbridge Avenue, in Pound Hill, is the latest to get fined after her visit to the McDonald's Drive Thru at Gatwick's South Terminal was timed on camera.

The multi-national food giant has set a 45-minute maximum stay for customers parking next to the Gatwick restaurant.

Unaware of this rule, when Mrs Peters visited the chain on October 29 at 4pm with 31-year-old husband Scott, 15-month-old daughter Connie and seven-yearold son Ryan, who goes to Meath Green Junior School, in Horley, she stayed for 53 minutes - eight minutes longer.

And on Wednesday last week Mrs Peters got a shock when the £125 fine sent by Civil Enforcement Ltd (CEL) arrived in the post.

Story continues Continue story
ADVERTISEMENT

She said: "I had been there for 53 minutes. I was feeding my children. One of them is only 15 months old, so is not quick at eating.

"I was really angry. I didn't know there were any restrictions - no signs when I went in.

"To be over by a couple of minutes,I was really cross.

"McDonald's head office told me to write a letter to CEL explaining I was there with my children. They weren't very helpful at all, but CEL is just an automated voicemail message."

McDonald's spokesman Alison Purves said: "It is important to McDonald's that all our customers have an opportunity to park in the car park adjacent to our Drive Thru Restaurant at Gatwick Airport.

"To facilitate this,we have been forced to impose time limits on parking.

"This is clearly communicated to customers throughout the car park via large signs.

"In addition, we will be handing customers this information as they are served. As with any new system, there is a review process in place.

"We have already met with the enforcement company to discuss the appeals procedure for local customers.

"Each appeal - which should be made to the enforcement company - will be reviewed and an individual decision made.

"Families who would like to stay longer than the 45 minutes permitted should request this by talking to the manager on duty when they place their order."

She added: "The new car parking system is being well received by our customers, as they can now park near to our restaurant."

Copyright and Trade Mark Notice
© owned by or licensed to Trinity Mirror Southern Limited 2006