FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is the plunging u.s. dollars becoming a problem for your travelling experiences?
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:04 pm
RustyC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Since the very first day of the full transition to euros for retail transactions, there's been a c. 50% decline in the value of the dollar vis-a-vis the euro. I don't consider a decline in the US dollar from c. $0.88/€1.00 to c. $1.30/€1.00 to be small peanuts.
Don't forget the fuel surcharges that are being added now. Makes the $300-350 all-in RTs of not too long ago all but impossible now. That and all the taxes cost $250 to many places before you pay your first dollar in airfare.

I usually try to do at least one "opportunistic" trip to Europe a year, usually in winter or spring for only about 4 days in the destination city and very much on a miles vs. fare basis. It's hard to get the numbers to align now.

I think $0.90 was the lowest for the euro when I've been there and $1.30 the highest, and a number of trips were pre-euro (if you remember, many places were accused of using the conversion as cover for raising prices!). It's still possible to scrimp on land costs in places like Amsterdam and try to absorb the shock with cuts in areas like meals. But you may be also running into a headwind on supply/demand that'll inflict further pain (Italy is supposedly bad for that lately). So, between the surcharges, exchange rate and supply/demand, you're likely taking a hit.