FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Complaints about FF miles
View Single Post
Old Apr 29, 1999, 3:41 am
pberrett

Oh you would have to get me started on this subject...

I work for an employer here in Australia (who shall remain nameless). Most of my points/miles are accrued from private travel and a very small number from business travel although it is likely I shall start to earn more points from business travel in the near future due to greater requirements in my new job.

My employer has a policy of not allowing employees to derive a benefit from their duties and this is interpreted as meaning that we cannot use points accrued from business travel for private purposes. My employer is also endeavouring to secure the use of staff's business accrued points for business travel in order to cut its travel bill.

At the same time statistics show that 85% of private sector employees are allowed to keep their frequent flyer points. Also per FCT v Payne, it has been held that the points however accrued, are the legal property of the employee.

A colleague of mine pointed out that the Australian constitution does not allow the
taking of an Australian's private property without due compensation.

I think any employer's attempts to secure the use of these points will prove to be a waste of time. Endeavouring to restrict the private use of business travel accrued points merely serves to alienate the employees.

Enlightened employers recognise the disruption to the employee's private life that occur as a result of business travel and allow the private use of these points as a form of recognition.

I take it that other readers are the beneficiaries of more lenient policies than myself.

cheers Peter

[This message has been edited by pberrett (edited 04-29-99).]