FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No flames - just need to understand...
View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 2006, 5:04 am
Gaza

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Originally Posted by krug
I am not so sure - if indeed you do take weekend breaks in Europe anyway, and are prepared for the additional costs of a long stopover as the cost of an additional two weekends away (at least one way each weekend in CE) then it becomes more attractive.

Lets take your example and work it through:-

EDI-AMS or BRU - cheapest one-way fare will be circa £80 including taxes. Lets assume the OP does not stay overnight and avoids hotel and other costs associated with an overnight and commences their BA flight straightaway and hops over to LHR and owards to ORD. By the time they arrive in ORD they will have had a very long day and probaly lost the benefit of CW.

On the return they would travel as far as LHR and "miss" the final leg to AMS or BRU and take a separate flight from LHR to EDI, again at a cost of about £80 one-way. They would hope the inbound from ORD was on time as they would not be through ticketed and I doubt BA would be understanding enough to allow a change FOC.

The approximate £350 saving has been erroded to £270. Is that worth it? Not in my opinion.