FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help on my next PDA phone
View Single Post
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:39 am
Tummy

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I still don't like the HTC products for one glaring problem - they are a pda first and a phone a far distant second. Not having an easy way to do the most simple task - dialing a number - is a deal killer for me with these units
Since my focus is on leisure use of the unit - voice calls and internet browsing and not email - not having a camera or other leisure features is also a deal killer which is why I won't get the Nokia.
I got a Tmobile Dash about two weeks ago for $99 after rebate and 1 yr contract. You can get it as low as $49 with 2yr.

I think it's great as phone. Start dialing the numbers and the dialer starts up, no extra clicking around to get to it. Start typing a name and it finds it in the contacts. I think it's a big change from the other HTC devices.

The same day I bought the device I went out and bought a 2GB Micro SD card. I have encoded the last 2 season of Top Gear and other TV shows so I can watch them while in line or on the subway / plane. I use TCPMP for viewing movies and MP3s (freware) and VisualHub for encoding the movies.

TomTom has software to turn the device into a mobile GPS which looks promising from all the reviews I've read.

The camera produced acceptable photos, but I always tend to make level adjustments in Photoshop anyways.

I can also view my Slingbox over the EDGE connection. It's sometimes a bit jerky due to the low bandwidth, but it's viewable when the optimization kicks in and it starts streaming. There is an update coming out soon which should also improve the video quality on the Dash.