FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 10 days in China - itinerary help please
View Single Post
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:48 am
MileageAddict
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Lots of helpful advice; thank you!

Originally Posted by maxwelltodbradley
I spent lots of time in the Mainland these couple of years. Actually as China is more likely a collection of small nations given its different caracteristics in different region, I would suggest that you have to ask you a question "what you want to see?" before choosing which city you are going to visit in limited period of time.

Hong Kong is the best place for people who are willing spend tons of money on shopping around. Food in HK is also the most tasteful (and safe to eat) according to Western standard. Beijing food is sometimes too oriental.

If you want to see how developed the nation is now, you should go to Shanghai.

Lots of guys are loving Qingdao, a coastal city in North China. The city used to be Germany colony. The whole western part of city looks quite like Klagenfurt of Austria. But eastern part of city where you can find great Japanese and French shopping mall, 8 sandy beeches and over 10 *****hotels alongside the road (just like Dubai, hoho), and one of the nation's most famous and also beautiful mountains is just miles away from the city centre.

Xian, a very old city with lots of heritage. If you like history, old stories, things like that, Xian will not let you down. But generally speaking, like most of other western cities in China, Xian looks very much out of date if you happen to fly to there from Shanghai or Hong Kong.

Hangzhou, Wu Xi, Suzhou, these three cities are geographically in the same region, just hours away from Shanghai. They are so nice and unique with different characteristics from other parts of the nation.

Kunming, the "spring city" is the capital of Yunnan province. The climate and city are just wonderful. Not very much historical things to talk about comparing Beijing or Xian.

Jiuzhaigou and Zhangjiajie, two national forest parks in middle-west of China. I recommend these two places to those guys have been to China for ages and sort of thinking that my above illustration is too naive.

Finally Beijing, where I am living. It's a place you cant cross off from your schedule by all means. Dont think that its just home to those mad communists and hundreds of ancient empires. Believe or not, its also home to almost a million of foreign blokes, like you and me. You could easily find pubs and clubs with hundreds and hundreds of white boys and girls. Crazy, isn't it?