FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]
Old Nov 7, 2006, 2:45 pm
damon88

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I'll be able to report on the Grant in a few weeks since I have 2 nights booked there. As a San Diegan, it's important for me to know the properties first hand before I recommend them to friends and colleagues.

I agree with the poster that the SD W staff isn't as good at W Poydras (they win hands down for best W staff ) but they are better than W Westwood (or is that damning with faint praise?

I don't feel as if I'm a fair judge of the hotel bc the whole "beachy theme" seems counter-W to me. If the hotel was in Pacific Beach or La Jolla near the water that would be one thing, but it's in downtown SD near the gaslamp. The starfish and waves feel out of place. (But ties in to the whole "sand bar" which is very popular) I'm also not a fan of hotel shutters (I prefer drapes) and the rooms aren't as large or comfy as some other Ws. I wish the rooms had chaise lounges.

If you want to be downtown though- it is a great location.