FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do you stay with BA?
View Single Post
Old Nov 3, 2006, 8:14 am
BAAZ

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by krug
I really don't get perople's issues with the problems with LHR.

Admittedly I never transfer there, but aside from the few weeks after 9/11 and 7/7 and strikes, I find it a great place to visit calm check in zones for premium pax which compare favourably or blast out of the water other terminals, clear signage, polite staff, a wait at the security is not uncommon in many places with such a large throughput, particularly at peak times. But I have never waited more than 20mins. And that was pre-Christmas.

Shops are superb. Lounges great, with (mostly) good views.

Walk to the gate can be a hassle, but prepare for it and allow time and not an issue. Luggage lost? woo-hoo! Freebies coming my way , and all essential packed in my hand luggage.

Sure the place is a little tatty, constant construction, but T5 is the beginning of the end of that for the whole airport.
I agree; I only have relatively minor gripes with LHR that are more specific to LHR than to other airports generally
- circling around for 10-20 minutes before landing
- sometimes unreasonable waits for baggage
- unreasonable queues at the FCCs
- an overenthusiastic approach to security generally (e.g. evacuating half the terminal because of a suspect package whereas in France they'd just wave the pax away around the next corner and then blow it up)

but in exchange for all that I agree with Krug; you get excellent lounges and shops, and separate premium checkin areas. If you are going to suffer a delay, it's a great place to be delayed in. CDG2, FRA, MXP anyone?