FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Oct 20, 2006, 3:23 pm
RichardInSF
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Renovated rooms at Hyatt Churchill: Not ready for prime time

I've read one other review of the renovated rooms at the Hyatt Churchill, London, in the last thread I started on this hotel. That review from Tfung was quite positive.

I just checked into a suite here (room 661) and my experience is the opposite. All sorts of things had to be fixed before the room was tolerable: there was no fridge (not even a minibar, the drinks for sale were just scattered about on a cabinet), a number of the lamps in the room didn't work, and the internet was flaky. Additionally, coming back from dinner tonight, all the guest lifts were down and someone suggested I walk up six floors (not very practical when wearing a cast).

Overall regarding the quality of the renovation, I find it rather disappointing. Yes, it's to an average HR standard, and yes, there are now smallish plasma TVs in the rooms, but given how much scaffolding was around the hotel during the project, I was hoping for REAL improvements -- such as converting the claustrophobic shower stall in the suites to something more reasonably sized. Instead, the renovation appears to be primarily limited to repainting followed by changing the furniture and carpet.

Note that they have apparently postponed refurbishing thde other half of the hotel, so that half of the rooms are old and half are new. I'd still prefer a new room over the old, provided the facilities in the room actually worked, but don't expect to be wowed even in that case.