FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's Permissible In Carry-On and Checked Luggage?
Old Oct 15, 2006, 1:23 pm
BluMing

Originally Posted by ob1
There are two issues here - one is narcotics - you will need very clear labelling and original notes form your doctor showing they are your medications and labelled to your name (make sure it matches exactly your name on passport, tickets etc). You will need this for going through security but also for customs and you must declare these narcotics.
From a security stand point you will be allowed to take a "reasonable amount on" - this can be defined as what you need plus a buffer for your journey so it will depend on dosage etc. So if you need 3 vials for the journey carrying 5-6 should be OK. Since security does allow for syringes and needles for diabetics - if you need this in flight then you coud take this with you as well but agina you have to prove you need it.
For practical reasons you probably want ot wrap in bubble wrap to prevent them breaking
Thanks very much for your and myrgirl's suggestions. The bubble wrap is a great suggestion, as well as the coins under the urn. Do I just declare the medications and urn to security as soon as I walk up? I will not have anything to put in a plastic bag. I decided to pack the things that would go in the bag in my checked luggage. I probably won't need any narcotics on the plane, but I sure as heck would not want to pack them in my checked luggage either. I would be afraid that somebody would steal my medicine. I will be gone for 2 mo. so my Dr.'s suggestion was to take enough medicine to get me by until I get back. It is all labeled with my name and I also have a print out from the pharmacy here called a medical passport. Everything matches. I don't mind packing my syringes though. I would think with the medical passport and all meds labeled accordingly, it would be enough. I was even thinking about calling my Dr. and seeing if she would write a brief letter in english explaining that I am under her care for which medications she has prescribed. It is sometimes difficult to get the Dr.'s office to write things in English. Contrary to what some people think, not all Dutch speak or write English. I really do appreciate everyones answers as it will give me a little time to be better prepared. Thanks again!