FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's Permissible In Carry-On and Checked Luggage?
Old Oct 13, 2006, 1:51 pm
myrgirl

Originally Posted by ob1
Originally Posted by BluMing
I also have to travel with an urn of ashes from my daughters cat. I have no idea how or where to address that and if they would think its gunpowder? I would hate for them to open the urn and go through the contents.
If possible put it in checked luggage - avoid the aggrevation - it is unpredictable how they will react. If not they will x-ray and you shoudl explain (my guess is human remains will be treated with more reverence than animal remains....) and assumign there is nothing to see you shoud be OK but it just depends.....
NO! Please don't put the ashes in your checked bag. Ashes will most definately alarm the baggage machines and then they've got to search your bag....

Here's my suggestion. Carry the ashes with you and when you approach the xray, tell them that you have cremated remains. The proper procedure is to clear the belt so that nothing can smash into the container and then xray it. If it appears too dark inside, a good trick is to toss a couple of coins underneath the container. If I can see the coins then I know I'm actually seeing all the way through the container and contents.