FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's Permissible In Carry-On and Checked Luggage?
Old Oct 13, 2006, 9:14 am
ob1

Programs: United GS
Originally Posted by BluMing
My concern is that I need to take some narcotics in vials that are liquid for my condition.I don't want to pack them in carry on for fear they will get stolen. I can pack the syringes in my check-in, no problem, but I do wonder about my medicine. Also they don't make ziplok bags here in Holland. What do you do in a case like that? My other meds won't all fit into a 1-quart ziplok bag even if I did have one. Wonder what you do in a case like that?
There are two issues here - one is narcotics - you will need very clear labelling and original notes form your doctor showing they are your medications and labelled to your name (make sure it matches exactly your name on passport, tickets etc). You will need this for going through security but also for customs and you must declare these narcotics.
From a security stand point you will be allowed to take a "reasonable amount on" - this can be defined as what you need plus a buffer for your journey so it will depend on dosage etc. So if you need 3 vials for the journey carrying 5-6 should be OK. Since security does allow for syringes and needles for diabetics - if you need this in flight then you coud take this with you as well but agina you have to prove you need it.
For practical reasons you probably want ot wrap in bubble wrap to prevent them breaking

Ziplok bags - clear plastic bag wiht a reseable top. THey are probable under another name in the Netherlands. Here's a picture
Zip Lock Bags
Failing that clear plastic bag will do. The 1 quart limit is for other stuff - they limit medicine to what you need on flight so if you need more space then get a bigger bag

Originally Posted by BluMing
I also have to travel with an urn of ashes from my daughters cat. I have no idea how or where to address that and if they would think its gunpowder? I would hate for them to open the urn and go through the contents.
If possible put it in checked luggage - avoid the aggrevation - it is unpredictable how they will react. If not they will x-ray and you shoudl explain (my guess is human remains will be treated with more reverence than animal remains....) and assumign there is nothing to see you shoud be OK but it just depends..... they removed green tea from a bag labelled Gunpowder Tea in LHR I think and put that in a seperate bag - the words "Gunpowder Tea" on the base were the offendign problem.....!

Hope this helps