FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avignon & Arles questions
View Single Post
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:46 am
AltaJoe

Originally Posted by cruisr
Bonjour,

I was on a River Cruise this summer on the Rhone and Saone Rivers. We docked in both Avignon and Arles. It was from Lyon to Arles. I stayed 3 days more in Nimes and loved that city.

Of the choice between Avignon and Arles I would pick Avignon. I really enjoyed the atmosphere as I was their during the annual Theater Festival. It is also bigger then Arles. You can get back and forth easily.

I did not have a car and did Pt. du Gard from Nimes. No problem. I speak and understand French enough to get around and I asked the bus driver to please annouce when we arrive at the stop nearest Pont du Gard. He looked at me and said, "You want me to tell you when we get there?' and he had a puzzled look on his face. I found out why. You literally drive into the parking lot of Pont du Gard and would have to be blind not to see it. It is a bit of a walk to the site but you can stop in the museum, theater, etc (all for a fee) The site itself is free.

You can take buses and trains between cities/towns in the area. I took a bus from Arles to Le Baux which was amazing and also a bus to Saint Maries de Mer (sp) You can take the train between Arles and Avignon and the bus also.

As Avignon is larger you have more of a choice of restaurants s you do in Nimes. I liked the shopping best in Nimes and they actually had excellent Roman ruins.

Bon voyage

We are boooked on the Peter Dielmann cruise next April that is a RT from Lyon. It will stop in Avignon/Arles etc. Any advise you have will be greatly appreciated.