FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:12 am
2smrt4u

Originally Posted by MKEbound
It's tough for me to be objective in these sort of discussions so I've tried only to post to answer direct questions, report the events and to clarify points of discussion. It sure is a weird experience when so many people are willing to debate your motivation, expectations and truthfulness when they have never met you.

However, I want to address your point: It may not be a revolutionary stand to write a few words of protest on a baggie, but you yourself stated you will be willing to do the same thing.

I hope you do.

I hope more people speak up, write their Senators, write the TSA, write letters to the Editors, talk to their friends about the TSA, etc.

In the end, I want positive change at the TSA.

Who knows what the magic number of people doing these sort of things will be to cause real change, but it's easy to ignore us when it's just me or a few Flyertalkers. It's a lot harder to ignore thousands of people who are pointing out how idiotic some of the policies of Kip Hawley are.

Check out post 1249 for more information
MKEBound... I get why you did what you did. If you could answer for me just what exact TSA rules you think are idiotic? If you were given the power to make the rules for travel what would you keep, get rid of, add and why? Then I must also ask how you would handle the situation if one of your rules caused a situation like your experience? I'm not being sarcastic at all, my only point is that attacking the person wasn't the best possible case for you to create your argument. People tend to disagree with things like this because all too often a bold statement like yours is made with nothing to back the direct claim that he was/is an idiot. His rules may annoy us but why attack his intelligence? I would venture to guess that there are a whole lot of people involved in the decision making process when such rules are developed. This is your argument, tell us how you'd make the rules better for everyone.