FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:06 pm
jonesing

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by exerda
We do not complain about airport security measures because they are merely inconvenient, but rather that in addition to being largely ineffective and providing merely an illusion of security (and diverting attention from realistic threats that should be addressed), they are inconvenient.

Inconvenience that actually addresses a security threat in a meaningful way and that is the best solution to solving that threat would be grumbled about, perhaps, but accepted. The problem that most people have with the TSA--from being SSSSelected to the Shoe Carnival to the water ban to the new plastic bag circus--is that the measures simply do not do anything but reassure the nervous nellies out there that they are somehow safer.
^ Well said!

WRT the emphazied areas, this is how I explain it to my relatives who are THE definition of Nervous Nellies but they just don't get it. They were nervous to fly to begin with and ever since 9/11, most of them just refuse to fly at all! They'd rather take the train or a bus and even those modes of transportation have them put off ever since the Madrid train bombings. And now, in light of the UK "liquid bomb" incident, they will pretty much only drive...but they are 4 states away. So now they pretty much just sit at home and won't come visit because they're afraid of (a) being attacked and (b) the tough airport security.