FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Las Vegas Award Flight Cancelled ?
View Single Post
Old Sep 26, 2006, 1:45 pm
gate4lounge

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by NickB
As preiffer said, The reg does apply to FF awards.It expressly states that it applies to tickets "issued under a frequent flyer programme or other commercial programme".
The regulation applies to any cancellation, for whatever reasons, even months in advance. You do not get extra compensation if the flight is cancelled in advance (and the airline lets you know in good time) but you are still entitled to a choice of either reimbursement or re-routing "under comparable transport conditions." The choice between reimbursement and re-routing is yours, not the airline's.
This is my understanding too. In point of fact I am in discussion with LH (via Opodo) on this very point. Several months ago I booked a very cheap (£37 plus taxes per pax) EDI-FRA-AGP-FRA-EDI return for a New Year holiday. Half a dozen schedule changes later the connection at FRA on the return trip has shrunk from 2+ hours to 45 mins. As this is below the recently increased MCT (1 hour, was 45 mins) at FRA, LH has offered me a full refund or the following re-routes;-

1. AGP-BCN-FRA-EDI on the original date booked, with a 9 hour connection at FRA
2. AGP-MAD-FRA-EDI, travelling 1 day before original booked date.

I have told Opodo that my preferred option is a re-route but I do not consider that the re-routes suggested are under comparable transport conditions. I have suggested a more convenient re-route EDI-CDG-AGP-CDG-EDI, via AF. I haven't had a response yet.....and get the feeling that I may not hear for some time!

Curiously I also have 4 award seats booked on MAN-LAS with bmi next July and this issue is of much relevance to me.