FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unusual Brazil Visa Questions
View Single Post
Old Sep 22, 2006, 3:58 pm
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Last month, I obtained a five year visa from the Consulate of Brazil in Chicago, for the purpose of going to the Brazilian side of the Iguazu Falls. I even had a reservation at the Hotel das Cataratas in Brazil. Unfortunately, for the two days I was in the area, due to some economic issues Argentina and Brazil are having, Brazilian protestors blocked the bridge between the two countries, and I was unable to get into Brazil.

As I understand it, in order for the visa to be effective, the passport containing the visa has to be stamped within 90 days of it being issued. Since I was unable to get into the country, I couldn't get the passport stamped.

My questions are these: Do I have a valid visa? If I were to go to Brazil again, without getting a new visa, would the authorities in Brazil check to see if the visa had been validated? If I were to say that I went to Iguazu, but they didn't stamp the passport, would that be believable? Alternatively, if I were to go to the Brazilian Consulate in Chicago and told my story, could they (or would they) stamp the passport to make it valid? (Yes, I'm cheap - for reasons I won't get into here, for the second year in a row, I have paid $100 to get a visa that I was not able to use. )
At the commercial airport points of entry into Brazil, they are quite strict with American visa validity items, including validity being conditional upon entry within 90 days of issuance. Everything else that you mentioned with regards to the visa is quite a gamble, but what's the worst that can happen from asking?