Old Sep 19, 06, 6:19 am
Fly Me To The Moon

Hyatt Regency Dongguan

I stayed here from 18-19 Sep. I was visiting a factory in the Houjie area (where the Sheraton Dongguan is, by the way), and it's about a 45-minute drive. The drive was quite nice, going through the industrial city, and the eventually getting into the New Science & Technology Park, with lots of greenery, tree-lined boulevards, big, wide roads, etc. There are clear signs to the Hyatt Regency from about 5km out.

Upon driving up to the hotel, first impressions of the place was how similar it is to the Le Meridien She Shan Shanghai. The hotel is divided into two wings, with the lobby and concierge area in the centre, with rooms and function halls fanning out on both sides. If this Hyatt Regency is a sign of things to come in China, I will be a Hyatt fan for life! Very minimalist, sleek modern design. Beige, brown tones. Bright and sunny (lots of windows), unlike a lot of hotels in China which don't even turn on some of the lobby lights in the daytime. A very grand lobby.

Checkin was quite efficient, but I think that the checkin counter is quite small for the eventual full opening of the hotel. I only counted three computers there, but there is concierge around the corner, and maybe, they will also use this for checkin in the future. As a Diamond, got upgraded to a Lake View room. Rate was RMB 700+15%, incl. 1 continental buffet breakfast (which otherwise would be RMB 128).

The elevators had buttons from L through 8, but only the rooms on the 3rd and 4th floors were opened. I could still hear some construction going on. The hallway is quite LONG, and I had a room very near the end. I think even numbered-rooms are Lake View, and odd numbers are Garden View. I was VERY impressed by the design of the room. Seemed like a cross between the Hyatt Hangzhou property (bedroom) and, IIRC, the Grand Hyatt Berlin property (bathroom). Walking in the main door, the usual closet are on one side, and a sliding translucent glass door leading to the bathroom is opposite. There is a small space for luggage following the closet, and then the minibar. After that, the hallway opens up to the bedroom. Mine was a king bed (very comfortable bed, by the way). 42" plasma screeen hanging on the wall opposite the bed, with a small countertop underneath the tv. Following the tv is a glass worktable, with HS internet (not free). There is also a lounge chair with ottoman, and a floor lamp.

The most striking feature of the room is the balcony. It is separate by the room by TWO glass doors. One glass door opens up onto HALF of the balcony. Two chairs and a small table are the only furniture, but it is very peaceful and relaxing to sit there and look out onto SongShan Lake (although there is a lot of construction going on at the opposite shore). The other glass door opens up into a glass enclosed balcony area with a square sunken bathtub, big enough for two people.

The bathroom itself is quite a big size, mainly because the usual bathtub has been moved out to the balcony area. There is a make up table on one side, and twin-sink vanity on the other. Also a glass-enclosed shower with rainforest shower head, and the conventional wall-mounted shower head. Also a bench inside the shower for you to sit and feel the spray of the water (I think Chinese/japanese like this a lot). Only problem I had with the bathroom is that Housekeeping forgot to place glasses anywhere, but a quick call solved this problem.

The room was quite clean, but I could see that they still had some minor touch-up work to do. Small issues, however.

Restaurants: I only tried the Cafe, which is accessed via the lobby. A glass-staircase (with water running down steps along the side) leads down to the restaurant on the lower level. Very modern design, with small pools of water interspersed through the seating areas. Semi-private tables were also available, which were semi-enclosed by wood lattices. The dinner buffet is quite a good value, at RMB 158. Lunch buffet is much the same menu, but at RMB 128. The a-la-carte menu is nothing special, but pricing is reasonable.

There is also a lobby lounge accessed on the lobby level, and then via a bridge to a platform which actually sits above the Cafe. I didn't go to the lobby lounge, however.

Regency Club not opened yet. Don't know if there is a swimming pool. There is an exercise/gym room on the main floor with some exercise equipment. It was deserted when I passed by in the morning.

The hotel is offering quite a flexible checkout policy now. I checked out around 3:00pm, no questioned asked. I asked concierge how much a hotel car would cost to go to Changping Train Station. It was RMB 300. The concierge said, however, that she could call me a private taxi instead, and the price was only RMB 100. I opted for the latter. In average traffic, the time from the hotel to Changping Station was 30 minutes.

I would DEFINITELY stay at this hotel again if business took me to this area again. Actually, once the hotel has all its facilities open (the earliest will be by the end of this year), I wouldn't mind spending a relaxing weekend here either.

I've taken about 70 photos of the hotel and facilities, but still don't know how to upload them (moondog taught me once, but I still can't seem to get it working via my Mac). Does anyone want to upload them somewhere; I can email them to you.