Old Sep 16, 06, 8:26 pm
macj86

Programs: Hyatt Dia, Marriott Plat, Delta Plat
HR Dongguan

Finally got around to visiting this new property. I'm staying here this weekend during their "soft opening". The hotel is about 1/2 finished (RC, full fitness and spa area not ready, several restaurants not open, etc...) but the facility and grounds are beautiful. The interior reminds me, somewhat, of the Hangzhou property (especially the hallways and, to a lesser degree, the rooms). The theme clearly revolves around the Chinese concept that water = wealth. So there is running water everywhere so that the the very quiet babbling brook sound can be heard in all of the public spaces.

The oddest (and most refreshing) part of this experience is that this property is in Dongguan. For my fellow Southern China travelers, if you've been to Dongguan, you know that this city/region is one huge factory and not a vacation location. Yet, this HR has done a brilliant job of insulating its property from the world's manufacturing and construction site. Somewhat like how Grand Cypress is right in the middle of the madness of Orlando but once you turn onto the property, you enter a completely different world.

Oh, and the temporary 700RMB rate ain't half bad either. I look forward to seeing more of the hotel later in the year.