FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Experince with Travelers Cheques? Fees for Redeeming?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:07 am
chgoeditor
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Are you going to buy TC that are denominated in C$ or HK$? (Actually, does HK still have a separate currency? Regardless...you know what I mean.) If you're buying TC in the currency of the country you're visiting, you shouldn't pay a fee when using them...they're as good as cash. Of course, some countries and merchants will charge anyway (generally, the same places that are going to charge you a fee for using a credit card). If you're using TC that are in your home-country currency, currency exchanges seem to charge an exchange rate which is slightly different than if you were exchanging cash. But for the life of me, I can't remember whether the rate is more or less advantageous.

I understand the safety/replacement advantages of TC, but you're still proposing carrying a large sum of money with you to Asia. Have you considered just using your ATM card to withdraw money from automatic tellers once you reach Hong Kong? I've found the exchange rates to be very competitive in every country in which I've done this.