FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Northwest Airlines Apologizes After Money-Saving Ideas Offend Workers
Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:24 am
krug
Suspended

Originally Posted by Capite
Well it may seem condescending and it may be offensive, but do you really think the HR worker/manager who approved it was trying to be a jerk? They probably thought they were trying to help, and not kicking people when they were down. They made a mistake. But it wasn't their fault that the layoffs happened in the first place.

I agree Capite.

I think something like this is much better done in a "counseling" session, rather than in an impersonal booklet.

Obviously for those used to a reasonable salary, it is somewhat demeaning to suggest all will be well by shopping at a charity shop.

But the context is important here and in the spirit of "every little helps" it may just make the difference for some of the less fortunate amongst those made jobless, who perhaps were not prepared for such a situation.

I have a very healthy income, but that does not stop me borrowing from my grandmother's frugal wartime instincts - turning off unnecessary lights, appliances, not using power-standby buttons, reducing the thermostat settings, and indeed shopping on ebay.

The spirit of the communication meant well, it was just a little outdated (pawnshop/ebay), perhaps poorly presented (booklet, rather than round table discussion) and seized upon by those who do (perhaps rightly) feel aggrieved.