FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vegetarian Options in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto [merged threads]
Old Aug 7, 2006, 10:12 am
jpatokal

Originally Posted by mosburger
The curry rice joints can basically put in anything you want as long as they have it in store.
But the curry is almost always made with pork stock (and if it isn't it should be!).

Being a pure vegetarian in Japan is quite a challenge. Then again, if you want to take it to the next level, you could try copying a former acquaintance of mine -- she was a pure vegetarian and she hated both rice and miso. Still don't know what on earth inspired her to come to Japan for 6 months, and she seemed to hate every minute of it... but then again, so would I if I had to subsist on her diet of guriin sarada and izakaya pizza for half a year.

And now that I'm done scaring you, I'll recommend conveyor belt sushi places which actually have a pretty good selection of non-fish items (veggies, pickles, tofu, egg, etc) and suggest you save up for a splurge here on your last night:

Daigo (醍醐 ). Atago 2-4-2 (nearest station Onarimon), tel. 3431-0811. The name means "essence of milk", a reference to the Buddha's highest teachings, and this restaurant aims for the highest standards of ''shōjin-ryori'' (精進料理 ), the purely vegetarian version of Japan's refined ''kaiseki'' cuisine. Located within the grounds of the Seishōji temple, all meals here are elaborate, ten-course affairs served in private rooms with a view of the lovely temple garden. With dinner courses priced at Y14,000 or Y18,000 per person (plus drinks, tax and service), the experience doesn't come cheap, but it just might be worth it for an unforgettable occasion -- and this is still only a third of what Ginza's ''kaiseki'' joints charge. Reservations obligatory. (from Wikitravel)