FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels
View Single Post
Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:45 pm
747LWW

Originally Posted by jhm
Thanks for the advice ... I think!
Sorry my computer malfunctioned. Here is the response.

Hi jhm:

First, I am jealous of your trip! Wow, you have selected some of my favorite destinations and of course, perhaps the preimere airline in the world (at least as for as service is conserned) to get you to those cities. I am certain you will have a wonderful holiday.

Let me first address the issue of the Shangri-la in Singapore. I have stayed in all three sections of that facility over the past few years and I have never been disappointed. As a general statement, please allow me to say that relative to many other well known, global players in the business, I prefer Shangri-al whenever I find one of their properties.

For reference, I hope you refer to post 18 in this thread to give you my general impressions of the lovely, wonderful, friendly, and quite sophisticated Shangri-la Singapore. And you are correct, I am biased because I have investigated and made my chioce in this particular case...I cannot concieve of how I could be more satisifed with a Singapore hotel than with the Shangri-la in general and the Valley Wing in particular.

jhn, remember the Heads of State can afford to stay anywhere in Singapore. Why are they (US Sec of State, US Sec of Defense, US President (both the two Bushes and Clinton, The King of Jordan, Koffey Annon, etc., etc.) guests of the Valley Wing whenever they are in Singapore? (Well, for one thing, I personally know that at least some of the butlers in the Valley Wing have extensive clearences from the security teams of the various countries.) In response to the question I poised, I do not believe that they would repeatedly stay there if the level of service, the ambivance, etc. was unsatisfactory.

This is not to suggest that you will have a private, security-cleared bulter on duty for your exclusive use 24/7 but I can tell you that each Valley Wing bulter I have met has been exceptionally good.

Is the Valley Wing experience worth the difference in cost, especially if you are planning to use the facilities for a short time? Great question! I can only report my habits and you must make the decision.

If I am only planning to be overnight, especially if just arriving from a long flight late at night with an early check-out because of a business meeting, etc. I personally say no. I would (and frequently have) stayed in the Tower Wing but since I prefer larger rooms even for a brief visit I select a Tower Superior or whatever they call it. (Note: On the Shangri-la web page they will list available rooms and the square meter size. I like the ~70 s.m. rather than the smaller (~50 s. m.) even for a brief visit.) Also, I like the higher levels...but of course the size of the room and the location may be of no interest to you.

What I can tell you is that the level of personal attention for a non-Golden Circle member at the Valley Wing vs the Tower Wing is likely similiar to the difference in service, amenities, etc. that you would receive/expect on First Class vs Business Class airline flights. I can assure you that in the Valley Wing, you will be treated you with the upmost respect and extended every courtesy...All of the employees will make their best effort to ensure your stay is so pleasant and memorable that you would only elect to return to "their" hotel-within-a-hotel.

If you have the time, may I suggest you spend the first night in the Tower and then the second night in the Valley Wing?

By the way, I am sorry to say I do not know the present procedures for being invited to join the Golden Circle Club. I simply know that as a business person myself, if you expressed a desire to join, I would do everything I could to accommodate your request, period. My guess is that everyone has rules but one can usually assist a potential continuing and perhaps expanding customer. Stated another way, I would be disappointed if the Valley Wing could not help you and suprised if the Tower Wing could not assist you in some way.

Finally, remember that the registration locations of the two wings that I have been reporting on are quite different in appearence and location although the "wings" themselves are joined by a rather long walkway and hence are essentially contigitous. The main entrance is for registration for the Garden and Tower wings, while the much more private, sit-down registration at the Valley Wing is located in a different, rather obscure section of the hotel, ie, a private entrance, which, to access it, you should mention to the taxi driver that you are staying in the Valley Wing and he will drop you at a different, special entrance.

Sorry, I must go for now. I will try to respond to your other questions later and I hope you will get additional views from other FT memebers re your post.
By the way, my family and I will be in the Valley Wing lobby from about 5:30 PM to about 7PM on August 14. If you have time at check-in we would be delighted to say hello. If you send me a Private Message, I will share details.

Have a great trip.

747LWW

Last edited by 747LWW; Aug 4, 2006 at 5:52 pm