FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels
View Single Post
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:28 am
747LWW

Originally Posted by traveler18
I have been at the Golden Circle Executive level for a couple of years, and frankly I see no benefit to it. I stay at the Makati (Manila) Shang at the Horizon level for approx 40 nights each year. Because my stays always exceed 3 days, it makes no sense to upgrade to a suite as I would have to move after 3 days. Also the Makati is a $75 upgrade and the Horizon rooms are very good and large to begin with.

While I see no value to the Golden Circle, Executive level, I very much enjot the Hotel. The staff and service are excellent. However, if there was a ood Starwood property in the vicinity, it is very likely that I would switch. (No more Starwood in Manila).

I do not expect to reach elite - as 60 nights and three properties are unlikley in a year. The free Internet would be a welcomed benefit as well as Horizon Club access - this way I could stay in a regular room and still use the lounge.
Hi travler18:

Welcome to FT and to the Golden Circle thread!

Glad to learn that you earned Executive level!

I hope you would take the time to visit the Shangri-la Golden Circle site --- [email protected] ---and forward them a copy of your FT post and ask for their comments.

I hope they would advise you that the Manila Shangri-la and/or Golden Circle staff in Hong Kong might be able to assist you in gaining the Elite level membership award---perhaps they would just require you to stay at another 2 Shangri la properties for one night each. It never "hurts" to ask, in my opinion.

I would also request to meet the Assistant or General Manager of the Manila property and explain your frustration re your 40 stays at his property and yet not achieving Elite status and hence not having access to complementary upgraded rooms.

For me, the most important and essentially only benefit at the Elite level that is of considerable value is the prospect of upgrading to a suite without additional cost for ~3 nights. Of course if your present accommodations in Manila are satisfactory and/or you are not interested in the larger, more luxurious rooms, I tend to agree with you regarding the value issue of your membership.

As you know, should you reach the Elite level, then the suite up-grade is complementary, hence you gain a "value" of about $80/night. Also, please be aware it has been my experience that individual hotels have some flexibility re the 3 night maximum stay requirement. Stated another way, I cannot imagine a hotel not trying to accommodate, within reason, such a frequent guest as yourself.

I hope you choose to persue the Elite level if the benefits are of interest/value to you personally. Of course we all are attacted to various frequent guest programs for dirrerent reasons. For me, the suite issue is the reason I belong to Golden Circle and elect to stay with Shangri-la whenever I get a chance.

Over the past years as a Golden Circle member, I have not been disappointed with the Shangri-la properties, people, or policies that I have encountered. Any issues that I have brought to the attention of Management have always been resolved to my satisfaction. I hope you have had and will continue to have similiar experiences.

By the way, please consider posting the outcome of your follow-up, if any, with Golden Circle and/or the Manila property Management or send me a Private Message.

Good travels
LWW