FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PMU Waitlisted - 777 with 45+ BE Seats Free
Old Feb 25, 2004, 4:23 pm
heckler

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pointfreak!:
OK..I am confused. I love my upgrades on international flights as much as the next guy. But explain to me why they are screwing you if they have sold all available seats...making money (which is why they exist)...instead of giving you an upgrade?

Unless I have a fundamental misunderstanding of the upgrade game, the idea is to give upgrades of seats that would otherwise fly empty to your top tier folks. Why is it wrong for Delta, on one of their most profitable routes, to hold off upgrades to make a sale...THEN make thse sales!? They say right up front that upgrades are capacity controlled, and in this case they SOLD that capacity to actual paying customers!

If you want to make sure you fly in Business...buy a Business seat...like the other passengers seem to be doing.

I really cant blame Delta in this case. I also agree that if things are that tight, why not add more flights?

</font>

Point taken Pointfreak, with the following caveats:

1). DL's business fares are prohibitively expensive ($7,800 for a "J" fare)

2). DL's "Y" (Coach) class is severely lacking, and for a guy who is 6'5" - the ability to remove my knees from my nostrills would be nice

3). No faulting DL for making money - but then MAKE AVAILABLE at least one or two seats per flight for Platinums or awards.. is this asking too much? AT least we'd have a chance. I'm not saying they shouldn't make money.

If they waitlist everyone on the flight until the day before, with NO hope for availability of any upgrade seats, then why tout the Skymiles program's great benefits when they are fallacious and hollow benefits? At a minimum, let us know how much availability is out there, so we can make our own choices as to where we have a better chance.

In addition to this, DL REQUIRES you to buy their Y,B or M class tickets simply for the right to upgrade - and if it doesn't pan out - oh well, thanks for all that extra money.

Don't get me wrong, I understand their motives, but I think they could do things in a more SGB manner..

I also believe they should add capacity on this route.. if it's so freaking profitable and so many people travel the ATL-NRT route, why not add another flight??????

[This message has been edited by heckler (edited Feb 25, 2004).]