Old Jan 26, 04, 12:46 pm
Flying_Duck

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 2+ MM, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG
I have always been able to use all my PMU's for upgrades trans-atlantic, and have never had problems upgrading the flights I wanted at the time of booking. However, I am also almost always able to make my reservation a minimum of 3 months ahead, but on a few occaisions have had 1-2 months.

I have on two occaisions been told I had to waitlist on the domestic portion (or reroute), but in both cases were able to upgrade the otherwise unavailable segment using MSU's as "V" class apparently goes out of a more generous inventory than the "G" class (and as a minimum M-fare - that can still be done at booking). Thus I am going to Barcelona in March on a mix of V, G, and Z classes!!

I have never been able to get a BC award on Delta metal for my two family members occaisonally traveling with me abroad, with the time restrictions I had, however, have always succeeded to do so on a partner awards on AF metal.

As the phone booking most often is quite impersonal I find that going to the CTO can make wonders for breaking through what on the phone has been said to be insurmountable hurdles. Excuding friendliness and leaning over the desk with a sad face IMHO facilitates the CTO agent usually seeing the absurd a the situation (such as Hecklers) and often will take (significant) time to call around and pull whatever strings available to break through the obstackle and get a satisfactory outcome. Thus my recommendation to Heckler is to go to the CTO and try to get upgraded, though I guess it is possible that the ATL-NRT, being the only Delta Metal route to the Far East, may have unique restrictions.