FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rental car in Cabo
View Single Post
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:46 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
DO get insurance - but DO also be aware...

Be aware - in Mexico, the laws are based on Napoleonic code. That basically means if there is an accident, everyone is condsidered at fault until such time it gets sorted out in the courts, and you are not entitled to legal representation. The insurance company becomes the guarantor of your presence and that any moneys payable will be paid (by the company.) Without insurance, you will likely be detained until it all gets worked out - that can take a long time. No consulate can do much about that, and they generally don't much care in any case.

You will note the insurance does not pay for some of the things you take for granted in the USA - "theft" ("robos") will only pay if the entire vehicle is stolen, not if parts of it are, nor if anything within is stolen. You can not get window breakage covered - for obvious reasons. I heartily recommend you read the terms and conditions carefully - and if you don't need an automobile, use local transport. I agree an automobile gives you lots of freedom - but you get more liabilities than you may be used to.

(I was born and raised in Mexico, have driven extensively on and off-road in most Mexican states in owned and rented vehicles.)