FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying a Laptop in Shenzhen
View Single Post
Old Jul 29, 2006, 11:33 pm
HKtraveller

Originally Posted by PTravel
My wife (who is Chinese) is visiting my in-laws in Shenzhen (work kept me from going this trip). I have a rather urgent need of a second laptop, nothing too powerful or state-of-the-art, and it struck me that, with most of the electronics for these things being manufactured in China, she might be able to get me a deal. What computer to buy isn't an issue -- I'll instruct her via phone. However, finding a place is another story.

Does anyone know any good computer dealers in Shenzhen?
China is unnecessarily expensive for laptops. Why don't you buy one in Hong Kong. Go to Star House near the Tsim Sha Tsui Star ferry. There is a Computer mall in the first floor. The biggest Shop is C2, they have dozens of laptops on display. Get the model you want, go a few shops further, a small shop called Reptron. Ask for Chris, tell him the model and ask for a price. Since C2 keeps stock they mostly will be more expensive, wheres from Chris you may need to wait 1-2 working days until you get it. I once got an IBM for 23800 instead of 27000 HK$. BUt you will need to compare, because sometimes with C2's special offers Chris might not be able to compete. You can talk openly with him about this.

I have already carried many laptops to China for friends. Just one thing to watch out: If you have a warranty case for an IBM Laptop in China, and the machine is bought in Hong Kong, they want to see the chop in your passport as a proof that you have been in HK on the invoice date. That might or might not be similar with other brands. But from Shenzhen it is not a big deal to get it fixed in HK.