FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OS reintroduces free food, when will SK follow suit?
Old Jul 29, 2006, 2:35 am
ranskis

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Intra
Flying STO-FRA with a Full Fare booked in "Y" I only get a sandwich on LH
but a cold meal on SK.

Buying a W-class on LH, thousands of SEK lower than "Y", I get the same sandwich as the fullfare "Y" psgr...but on SK I have to pay.

What´s fair?
the only fair solution is to have a good service in all classes. The difference in the price is justified by time of booking, flexibility required etc... exacly like AF, no need to be in Y or C to get a good service, M service is excellent these days.

is it fair that business full fare travellers pay for the food/service of the leisure el cheapo traveller? IT IS ! full fare travellers like to choose direct flights at the last minute, take a later flight in case a meeting lasts longer etc... but can you fill up many flights a day with only business travellers? usually no! airlines ensure a minimum revenue per flight by selling many cheap seats for tourists, families, students, with special conditions, making the flight if not profitable, not too much in deficit... and the business traveller is happy to find the flight he wants, thanks to the load in eco class, at the last minute.

Look how competition on leisure travellers on ARN CDG route affected business travellers. There used to be 10 direct flights a day on SK/AF 5 years ago... there are only 3 AF and 2 SK now, less to choose from, thanks to ryanair that is operating 2 flights a day, full of tourists.

Instead of focusing on what is fair and unfair (a very scandinavian way of thinking, after my experience...) perhaps we should think more about what matters for each class and how to get it. If you want frequent flights to main destinations, you need to attract many tourists and preserve business revenue... selling easy one way tickets is perhaps the worse thing SAS did in the past: business travellers can get cheap ticket => the average pax needs to pay more to compensate. It becomes too expensive, they fly less or elsewise, SAS needs to reduce capacity, add to the fact that P-class pax are treated like cattle with few points for many booking classes: there is not much loyalty left, we fly SAS because we have to, explaining certainly, at least partly, the problems of SAS!