FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Standby" ok on earlier or later train?
View Single Post
Old Jul 24, 2006, 1:42 pm
caj11

Originally Posted by MSP2000
I had to leave earlier on the same day from DC. I had no problems exchanging the ticket. I was also using the the H570 discount code.
My experience in the DC to NYC corridor has been different. In the old days, when the price of the ticket was always the same whether you bought it way ahead or the day of, the people at the ticket counter had no problem with you switching to an earlier train, so long as the space was available and it was the same type of service.

Yesterday, I was coming back from DC to NYC on a discounted ticket and I was told that if I switched to an earlier train I would pay the difference between the 15% discounted fare and the full fare. Ended up not mattering because the earlier train was completely full anyway. Why they had to charge me the extra $$, I don't know because it seems I am doing them a favor by switching to an earlier train. Maybe I just need to beg that much more.

Traveling on a free/AGR ticket I have had no problem switching to an earlier train or even a later one if I missed my train. Simply a space availability issue.

Traveling on the Acela with a ticket paid for by my employer usually allowed me to switch to an earlier train if I wanted to at no extra charge. Then again, my employer would have paid for the extra charge anyway, so long as it wasn't too much.

Seems like everybody has a different experience on this and Amtrak is sorely lacking in consistency!