FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - largest carry on luggage that can be taken on-board?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:58 am
johndoe123

The problem with bags is lugging them around the airport, otherwise a couple duffle bags would be the answer. Even carrying the laptop bag is bad enough. I believe 40-45 cubic inches or something is generally the US limit, but I was wondeirng what peoples experiences are.

Originally Posted by jimbo99
I'll let someone US based to answer with specifics - but perhaps you'd better check with the particular airline you're flying with. If you have a paperticket the limits should be on an enclosure - or you can probably find the info on the website.

BUT: remember the purpose made "wheeled" types can eat terribly into your weight allowance for carry on. (Likely to be around 6Kg or 7kg but often you'll be allowed a bit more). Also they "look" heavier - so are more likely to be checked for weight compliance.

If what you want to carry is heavy but not so bulky, you might be better off with a shoulder bag. You can usually get away with a couple of extra small plastic bags, laptop bag, stuffed pockets etc. I carried about 15Kg in a shoulder bag on Continental between LAX and SAT last year without any problem.

Of course it becomes annoying to other pax if you push it too far.