FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A funny thing happened at the Atlanta City Council Meeting
Old Dec 13, 2003, 12:21 pm
AdamATL

Programs: Airline free agent; Starwood Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
A funny thing happened at the Atlanta City Council Meeting

This, by now, is old news. But, I haven't been on FT in a long while due to some computer troubles.

Most folks in Atlanta know about the marathon (14.5 hours) City Council meeting on December 1 to address the city's sewer problems and Buckhead bar closings.

For those of you not from Atlanta.... the city is under a federal mandate to update our neglected sewer and water systems. The mayor estimates the cost to be about $3 Billion. So, they plan to dramatically raise sewer rates around here.

One idea that has been floated to help relieve the burden on the taxpayers is to sell or lease "Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport". The FAA program that allows privatization also allows dominate carriers to veto any effort to privatize. When the discussion began, DL immediately said it would block it and would not even discuss alternatives.

During the public comment period of the City Council meeting over the sewer rate hikes, a guy walked up to the microphone, and cut up his Skymiles card in front of the City Council (and the cameras). He said, "I have flown my last mile with Delta Air Lines. They have told this city to go to hell and now they can go to hell."

It was a classic moment of the meeting, and there were many others.

My own opinion is that the City Council should now repeal every tax break DL currently enjoys. The opposition to the privatization is not what bothers me, it's their veto and the unwillingness to even DISCUSS any alternatives. I left DL years ago, but they continue to rape the citizens of Atlanta and now they should be given the cold shoulder too.

Yeah, I know DL provides an economic engine for this city and region. But, they are the only non-government entity which can stick it to the taxpayers of Atlanta. Turnabout is fair play.

[This message has been edited by AdamATL (edited Dec 14, 2003).]