FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Osaka (rates incl. taxes & charges) v. other Japan Hyatts (taxes & charges addl)
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:27 am
pdb

Question Osaka (rates incl. taxes & charges) v. other Japan Hyatts (taxes & charges addl)

On my recent trip to central Japan, when I stayed at both the HR Osaka and HR Kyoto, the room rate in Kyoto was roughly 40% higher; however, the difference was significantly greater. I did not realize (until I reviewed my GP statement) that the HR Osaka quotes all-inclusive rates upon which there are no additional charges or taxes; whereas the HR Kyoto quotes base rates upon which there is (a) a 10% service charge, and (b) a 5% VAT on the sum of the base rate + 10% service charge. So effectively, 15.5% additonal over the base rate. This resulted in rates that were nearly 60% higher in Kyoto than Osaka.

I am not questioning the rates themselves, but why would one property in Japan quote rates inclusive of taxes and charges, whereas (after checking) all other Japan properties do not? Econimically, this makes the HR Osaka an even better deal (and GP points are calculated on the quoted rate less the implicit 15.5% taxes and charges which have been included).

So, why would Osaka quote rates net of all taxes? Are there other Hyatt properties which quote rates net of taxes?