FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Customer Care called to ARGUE with me!
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:37 am
jimrpa

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Sad thing about DL is that when it's good it's great and when it's bad...it's just awful.

If you plan to connect in PHL do not check any bags. The US ground crews in PHL have a habit of losing luggage. Also, expect significant ATC delays due to PHL's position between the NYC and DC ATC corridors. I kid you not when I say I have sat on the tarmac in PHL for up to 90 minutes due to ATC delays and have sat on the tarmac at originating cities for almost as long waiting for departure clearance into PHL.

To put it mildly, PHL is a disaster of a place to connect. If you are going to fly US, try to connect through CLT or DCA. One raindrop can send PHL into cardiac arrest.
Sorry - I was being sarcastic when I said the OP would "love" PHL. I absolutely agree - PHL is probably the worst airport in the nation (thanks to the government of the City of Philadelphia, and especially the Mayors office ) My few experiences with USAirways at PHL have been horrible. With only a few exceptions, I've found the stafff to be, at best, indifferent, and more typically, rude. Then, of course, there are the air traffic problems you describe. Despite investments in new runways and such, it's geographically IMPOSSIBLE to significantly improve traffic handling at PHL. The airport is bordered on one side by a river, on another side by a major highway and industrial parks, and on a third side by a protected wetland area. If anyone had common sense, they'd bite the bullet, close PHL, and build a new airport in far southwestern Chester County or perhaps Lancaster County, with a rapid rail service back to PHL. Of course, that would require multi-billion dollar investment, and the local government decided that it was more important to spend billions of dollars on several new sports stadiums