FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SkyMiles to Expire in 2 Years Beginning January 2007
Old Jul 6, 2006, 8:13 am
Helena Handbaskets

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by ncvet61
I just noticed today that Skymiles will expire in 2 yrs instead of 3 yrs begining in Jan 2007 if there is no activity on the account. I'm sure it doesn't matter to most of us as we have constant activity, but it might be of interest to some.

From the Delta website:

"Previous Frequent Flyer Program
For the past 10 years, we have maintained mileage accumulated in the previous frequent flyer program that ended in 1995 and mileage earned in the current SkyMiles program since 1995. In order to streamline the tracking and redemption processes, we will be consolidating these mileage balances on December 31, 2006. Each previous program mile that remains in your account after December 31, 2006, will be automatically converted to one mile in the current SkyMiles program and added to your balance in January 2007. You may continue to use these miles under the current SkyMiles Rules & Conditions.

Once converted, previous program miles will appear in your SkyMiles account balance. You may keep your balance from expiring by earning, redeeming or donating miles just once every three years. Effective January 1, 2007, miles will expire after 2 years if the recipient's account shows no activity".
So what does the penultimate sentence mean when it says "three years?" Presumably, it was written in 2005, and said "three years," but beginning Jan 1, 2007 (one year later), miles expire if no activity for two years. So the miles protected for three years in 2005 expire Jan 1, 2008 (two years) if there's no activity in 2006 or 2007? Or expire Jan. 1, 2007 if no activity in 2005 and 2006?

Or does it mean that miles in the account as of Dec. 31, 2006 are "forever" protected for three years while miles deposited thereafter are protected for only two years?