FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New lost/delayed baggage online tracking tool
Old Jul 5, 2006, 5:03 pm
flyinryan

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Ari
Before Mr. Skies has to come in and rescue this, I'll interject that airlines lose bags. It happens. There is nothing wrong with introducing a tool that many other carriers have on their websites.

The appropriate beef is that of all the "features" to add, this was one that could have waited.
Ari, I totally get that airlines lose bags - I'm one of the fortunate ones who has yet to experience this little joy myself. And I have no isuues at all with UnitedSkies - other than the cheerleading, he's great. (And he's seen enough PMs from me to know that.) But for all the effort that went into this - like you said, there's gotta be bigger fish for this airline to fry.
There are not enough pilots or flight attendants, and flights toward the end of the month risk being cancelled because of it. united.com continues to set the IT industry back 15 years to the time of Compuserve, and the list of big problems goes on and on...yet instead of correctly addressing this problem - reducing the number of lost bags, United has chosen to make the problem very very slightly better by giving you a web link to tell you where they may have misplaced your bag.
Maybe I was sick the day they taught business in business school, but I always try to work on eliminating or reducing the roots of chronic problems before I concentrate on how to smooth over the resultant mess. In other words, let's lose fewer bags and make fewer people mad, rather than come up with a way to make all the mad people slightly less so.