FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Turns Focus to Regaining Respect
View Single Post
Old Oct 8, 2003, 5:30 pm
Flying_Duck

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sxf24:

I typically fly Delta from via SLC to FCA, MSO and GTF. I think the move to all Skywest CRJs is great as it doubles the number of flights I can take.

</font>
While there may be a FEW examples of this, I think by-and-large that is an incorrect statement.

From SLC, the CRJ's first replaced EM2's and smaller prop planes to smaller metropolitan airports in Nevada, Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana, subsequently became a scorge by replacing mainline metal, initially in a mixed mainline/CRJ fashion and sometimes, but far from always adding one or two CRJ flights per day. Now this will expand to major metropolitan cities in those States as well as to California, Portland, Southwest including Texas, Midwest States including ( ) the Eastern part of the Midwest. Best I can tell, this will be done on a close to "one 737 for one CRJ" basis, some undoubtedly the 70 seaters CRJ's, with the decreased capacity likely being the calculated loss of people who any day would chose to jump to other mainline metal through connections, take the train, drive bikes or walk for the shorter distances, then being tortured in the tin can.

But to claim that for every mainline metal departure being replaced with CRJ's there will be two of those departures is IMHO absurd.

[This message has been edited by Flying_Duck (edited 10-08-2003).]