FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - La Quinta Resort & Club, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-CA}
Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:35 am
Sosiouxme

Programs: RapidRewards, Hhonors Diamond, AA,WorldPerks
Arrow La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-CA}

Hi all,

I'm at the La Quinta Resort near Palm Springs this lovely summer morning and thought since this is a relatively new Hilton property, I'd give some feedback on my experience.

I checked in last night at around 7:30 pm on a $72 govt rate. (Don't expect that to be around come fall & winter!). Initially, the woman at check-in gave me a key to a room very close to the front desk in what I assume was the most modest accommodations they had. When I went through my key folder and asked about breakfast coupons - the woman said they don't offer that but said since I was a Diamond, I was entitled to an upgrade - she then began looking for an upgrade and asked if I wanted poolside. I said it didn't really matter since I hadn't brought my suit and I had to be out of the hotel early in the morning - mainly I just wanted a nice room to relax in with my friends who were set to visit me at the hotel (mainly to check out the posh digs). The woman gave me an upstairs room with my own private sun balcony that overlooked the pool. It was great for my purposes. With the $20 resort fee - parking is included as is high speed internet (not wireless - or at least I could not get my wireless to work).

My room was a little worn (chipped paint in some spots, some refuse on the stairs leading up my room, dinged up table) but overall, it was very nice. The bedding was nicer than typical Hilton bedding, the toiletries were their own brand and smelled good. There was a large soaking tub with a separate shower - all done with hand painted Mexican tile. Also, there was a gas fireplace in the room with the TV set in the adobe wall.

They did not have the Hilton alarm clocks which I prefer, but the alarm clock they did have seemed operable - the sun streaming through my windows woke me up before the alarm, so I turned it off.

Sadly, because I arrived somewhat late to the resort and had to leave somewhat early 9:30 - I did not get to enjoy most of what the resort had to offer. If I had more time, I would have splurged on a spa treatment or taken a fitness class or two, but there simply wasn't time.

Overall, this is a beautiful place. I feel lucky to have gotten it at the govt rate and would stay here again if I got the same rate and I needed to be in this area. If I did stay here again, I would try to plan it so that I could try the spa. I'm not sure I think it is worth the additional points needed for a reward stay but I'm not a golfer or an avid tennis player and that is mainly what this resort is all about.

Since this is a new Hilton property, I think they are working out the kinks with the loyalty program. For example, the woman at the front desk did not recognize my status until I asked about breakfast coupons - it was then that she realized she needed to upgrade me. I think eventually, they will have some sort of breakfast coupons or they will not be able to accommodate all the Diamonds coming through with upgrades - particularly in the high season.

Overall, this was a good experience. It is now morning and I don't have a paper or my bill outside my room -- I'm not sure how that works but I guess I'll find out.

Hope this helps,

Sioux