FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Friend died out of town- cost to fly his body home will be?
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:46 am
BuddyPass

I would like to say I'm really sorry to hear about your friend's loss. I am a funeral director in Phoenix and have had to do the same things in the past.

It is a rather expensive option eithe way. The preparations need to be done in Las Vegas in order to ship him back to PA. We sent a body from Phoenix to Pittsburgh two weeks ago and the plane ticket was $500. I'm sure it would be about the same, depending on which airline the funeral home uses. We usually call a few in order to get the best price for a family. That price is extremely reasonable, being that he'll go onto a commercial flight and sent back to Pittsburgh. The land-option would be significantly more. We've never done it, but if we were to do it, we would charge $1.95 per mile, and that trip is over 2,000 miles.

With all that said, the preparations, charges of the funeral home in las vegas, and the flight should be somewhere between 2,000-3,000 based on which funeral home is selected, if they choose to get the casket in PA. My company doesn't own any in Las Vegas or I'd give you all the exact prices.

The funeral home in Pittsburgh will probably charge anywhere from $4,000 and up for the services. If your friend is going to be buried, the family would also be responsible for the cemetery costs if they don't already have those arrangments made.

IF his family is NOT opposed to cremation, they can still have the same services you spoke about: a visitation and a funeral, but instead of going to the cemetery, he can be cremated instead. Most funeral homes have a "rental casket" that holds an interior box that goes to the crematory, so that you can still have services with him and a casket present, but not have to purchase a full casket. That will save you the added money of a more expensive casket and the cost of the burial plot and services at the cemetery.

If you need help with any other questions, please just let me know.

Caleb