FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why I am leaving Continental and switching to America for the rest of the year!
Old Jun 23, 2006, 9:33 am
ContinentalFan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Why I am leaving Continental and switching to American for the rest of the year!

If you want to be great in business, do the small things right--a tougher challenge than many expect!

I am planning to switch to AA for the rest of the year. I am going to sign up for the Platinum Challenge. I was hesitant to involve myself with AA, since I don't like the idea of being treated like chattel for the first 10,000 miles, but today's experience with CO taught me I have to be a big boy, grow up, grin and bear it.

I don’t think I irritate easily--which probably means I do I didn’t mind spending over an hour on hold last night while the airline figured out why a Y fare didn’t clear immediately for a domestic upgrade. That problem got resolve; I was happy.

The problem I encountered today is that I can't check in online. Since last November, I haven’t been able to check in online for international flights. I am flying overseas LAX/EWR/ZRH, but I can't check in. The reason: Continental still has an expired passport attached to my profile; I have begged, pleaded and cajoled the carrier, but it hasn't been removed.

The passport expired last November. I have flown three times on the new passport. I removed the old passport number from my profile; I inserted the new one in. Every time I book a ticket, I make sure it has my current passport number. I have asked seven times to have the new number attached to my profile--CSR at the airport, in a Presidents Club, on the phone--but it hasn't happened. The result: I can't check in online.

What really irritates me is I paid over $3,000 for this ticket. I could have paid much less, but I wanted to jump to the head of the line for upgrades. I can't check in, so I can't waitlist for an upgrade. I feel like I am a sucker. The problem isn’t resolved, and according to the co.com the help-desk, not immediately resolvable, so I am angry at Continental. If truth be told, I am probably more disappointed. Disappointment is worse, because anger dissipates.

I will hit Platinum this weekend. I have one more BusinessFirst trip to take in early July (it’s a Z fare, so I can’t cancel ); that should be it for the year. I don't see any reason to fly Continental for the rest of the year; there's nothing in it for me.

I hope Continental can fix my passport problem. I don't expect it to be fixed by July. I guess the next time I will have a chance to find out is January 2008.

Sorry to vent, but I find this situation to be very irritating.

Last edited by ContinentalFan; Jun 23, 2006 at 9:57 am