FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Combined OW lounge at LAX TB Terminal?
View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 2006, 10:33 am
number_6
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Viajero
Not quite sure I understand: are we talking of having one, and one only, oneworld lounge in TBIT, open to all OW (like now) but operated by QF/CX/BA? or are those 3 just teaming up to run a common lounge, and others, like LA, for example, will have their own? In other words, how many OW lounges are there going to be in TBIT?
The original plan was 1 lounge covering the entire floor (getting rid of the rabbit's warren corridors in TBIT). If the announcement is literally true, it does mean that LAN will not be part of this "oneworld" lounge. Or maybe LA will be switching to T4 (somehow I doubt that, but it could happen I suppose)? EI isn't mentioned either (and it is part of OW into 2007, ie. after this lounge is opened). Another possibility is that the funding for the lounge rebuild is coming from QF/CX/BA and the other OW airlines are getting a free ride on the construction costs (but not on the operating costs).

The OW lounge access rules for status aren't changing, so any lounge can be accessed by status (subject to capacity controls). Now TBIT is often invoking capacity control and refusing access -- even for pax flying the same airline, much less a different OW airline (ie. cannot get into the QF lounge when flying QF). The rebuilt lounge is supposed to triple capacity, with better use of floor space (more lounge and less corridors).