FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Odd Driving Customs
View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 2006, 2:14 am
WHBM

Programs: BA
Yellow aspects of traffic signals are indeed known officially as "amber" in the UK.

I believe the starting sequence of UK signals, Red - Red and Amber - Green is unique to the UK, I have not seen it elsewhere in the world.

The turns described above as jug handle or hook turn are known officially in Britain as "G turns". Obviously as they are the other way round to the US that makes more sense. Some are quite substantial being arranged round the block of nearby side streets, often accompanied by a large diagram on a sign when approaching them.

Someone once asked me in my traffic engineering past why the coloured lenses of the green aspect of traffic signals are actually made of blue glass. Reason is the light bulb behind does not shine pure white but has a yellowish tinge, the glass lenses are therefore made not as the true colour required but to give that effect when lit by such a light.

To me the oddest foreign driving custom is the extent to which bribing of traffic police when they stop you is universal, common, rare, or absolutely a no-no. Fortunately in the UK we are in the last category.