FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airfone's days are numbered...
View Single Post
Old Jun 2, 2006, 9:57 pm
NextStopTermC

Programs: UA 1K, US SP, HH Diam, Hyatt Plat, Avis First, *W Gold
Originally Posted by carl92103
These phones are invaluable when your in the middle of an important business deal. I was actually in the process of changing from Sprint to Verizon to get the discounted rate. Is it definite they are removing the phones?
I don't know, and I wish they wouldn't. For about seven years or so, the rates translated as "hurt me plenty". The advent of bundled Verizon service was the first sign of reality for rates for Airfone. I've made about three calls during those years, and given all of my OTHER flights, I really wish I would have had back the space under my US/UA F seat to put a laptop; Airfone stole that from me with their lumpy grey box.

I honestly don't know how they managed to screw up their rate structure that badly, when friends with wealth dripping off their fingertips would say "it can wait until we land." Those friends should have been the ones sucked in by teaser rates. I guess Airfone's market was people paying for international F rather than domestic C. Works on some routes, but definitely not on US/HP....